What is Youth InterACT?
Youth InterACT is a participation initiative launched by the ACT Government in 2002 that encourages young people aged 12-25 to have their say about youth issues in Canberra.
The initiative encompasses six mechanisms:
- Youth Advisory Council (YAC)
- Youth Consultation
- Grants & Scholarships
- Young Canberra Citizen of the Year Awards
- Annual Youth Conference
- Youth InterACT Website
Youth InterACT aims to:
- Actively involve young people in decision making processes about topical issues that affect and interest young people.
- Engage young people in meaningful ways in all areas of life at an individual, organisational and community level and they have a voice within the government.
- Ensure young people experience elements of citizenship and democracy in their everyday lives, in realistic and holistic situations, with meaningful outcomes and actions resulting from this participation.
- Provide funding to young people who wish to attend an activity of a learning capacity, sporting, conferences, personal or career development through participation in various activities, or who wish to put on an event or run a project for young people.
Youth Services in the Office for Children, Youth and Family Support (OCYFS) administers Youth InterACT. The Office is a part of the Community Services Directorate.
The OCYFS works in partnership with a number of youth related services from community organisations that include youth centres, youth support services, youth development and youth peak services.
For more info go to: http://www.dhcs.act.gov.au/ocyfs